Something I think we’ve all dreaded once or twice. There’s something fairly uncomfortable about being crammed into economy(which lets be real, its most of us- including myself holaaa) for 10+ hours. But unfortunately its something that needs to be done. And half a day flying is nothing compared to the months on the water our ancestors had to undergo to get from country to country… we really don’t have it that bad. But hopefully this blog will give you a few tips on how to make flying slightly more enjoyable.
- Decent headphones– I recently got gifted airpods for Christmas(so so lucky) and they are a game changer. They’re so comfortable to wear/fall asleep with and you need something to block out those crying babies(worst)
- Podcasts– are an actual godsend on long trips. I find they keep me entertained more than music but download as many podcasts/ playlists that you can before your flight! Don’t rely on the airline to provide you headphones or a screen to watch, a lot of the time they don’t provide what you thought would be provided. Podcasts I am loving are- Happy hour with Lucy and Nikki, Plantproof, KIC and Casefile true crime. They will keep you occupied without a doubt
- Baby wipes– not the most eco friendly whatsoever but to give your oily face a wipe over before you land or even use a few on your seat prior. Makes all of the difference having these babies on hand. Hygiene rules
- Your toothbrush– speaking of hygiene. Even if you can’t take toothpaste on with you- it’s something. No one like furry teeth. Helps you feel SO fresh and human
- Something warm– planes get cold. I always feel cold haha. So i’d be taking a light blanket in my carry on. Because no one should have to pay $20+ dollars for a rug on a plane. Such a rip off. Same goes for neck pillows at the airport. Be organised. Don’t waste your precious travel money
- Something to assist with some shut eye– I’ve taken sleeping pills on flights before but haven’t needed them luckily as I’ve realised I can sleep anywhere(hope this never changes ha) but even a valerian tablet/something stronger if you’re worried you wont catch any Z’s. I love taking peppermint or lavender oil on with me too. Even pack in some chamomile tea and ask for hot water. Or even *cough* an edible prior. Get comfy.
- Reading material– this is the perfect opportunity to finish a really good book or even grab a few magazines at the store before the airport(half the price). Reading is time consuming, calming and will hopefully put you to sleep
- Comfortable plane attire– wear trackpants and a comfy shirt. Or a maxi dress. People that wear jeans on planes cannot be trusted(my worst nightmare). Chuck your hair in a bun and sport a naked face. Get cosy
- Water– it sucks being that person that has to ask others to move so that you can go to the bathroom. But being dehydrated when you arrive in a foreign country in a totally different timezone is worse. Take a big bottle ’cause again most of the time airlines wont provide these or charge you an arm and a leg. I once got charged $3.50 for a cup of hot water, tf.
Do your research when it comes to layovers and airline options, and weigh up your time vs money situation. It would be the dream to fly business and not even blink at the price. But I personally cant justify paying 5+ the economy seat. I’d so much rather spend those extra dollars on accommodation, food and a few too many cheeky midday cocktails. I have heard along the grapevine that booking flights tend to be cheapest on Tuesdays at midnight, so maybe give that a go also… Not that many of us will be flying for a while! Man I hope airlines don’t cave and there continues to be competition held within airway companies. Fingers crossed. Things are looking up. All my love x